Protect your car from THEFT
Here are some pointers as to what you can do to protect your car from being stolen:
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Close all the windows and the sunroof.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle where passersby can see them.
- Do not leave your vehicle title in the car. Too often a car thief is pulled over and gets away from the police because he or she can produce the auto registration.
- Know where you’re going.
- Avoid known high crime areas even if the alternate route takes longer.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn’t have one. Many insurers offer discounts for anti-theft systems.
- Thieves prefer to work in the dark. Be particularly cautious at night about where you park your car. Park it in a well-lit area if possible.
- Look around – Be aware of your surroundings, especially in garages, parking lots and gas stations.
- On an incline, leave your car in park or in gear with the wheels turned toward the curb or some other obstruction. This makes it harder for thieves to tow your vehicle.